Application package name: com.kittyflap
Validity date: 08/11/2023
The KittyFlap app collects the following data from you and your devices. This data is sent to our server at https://bigkitty.kittyflap.ch/ to ensure the correct functioning of the products you have purchased:
- User data: We collect only your email address and full name from you.
- Device data: From your phone, we get the device model, device type (if it’s Android or iOS), device language, device token ID (to recognize your phone), and an FCM token (an identifier from Google Firebase’s FCM service).
- Kittyflap data: From your installed kittyflap devices, the app collects cat photos, RFID tags of your cats, Wi-Fi SSID and password (passed from the app to the kittyflap), log data of errors or events, and component data of the kittyflap (status of the camera, RFID reader, PIR sensors, etc.). The app shares data with kittyflaps in your home, such as cat names and cat photos. All data collected by each kittyflap is sent by it to our server at https://bigkitty.kittyflap.ch/.
- Cat data: We collect photos of your cats, their name and the RFID tag that identifies each cat.
Purpose of data collection
We collect and use your information for the following purposes (we have sent all of this information to our server at https://bigkitty.kittyflap.ch/):
- Email: Your email is collected via Google Sign-In for Android devices and Apple Authentication for iOS devices and is required to create your account and identify you on our server at https://bigkitty.kittyflap.ch/.
- Full name: Your full name is collected via Google Sign-in for Android devices and Apple authentication for iOS devices and is required to create your account and identify you on our server at https://bigkitty.kittyflap.ch/.
- Device type: We collect from your device which system is running, i.e. whether it is Android or iOS. This data is necessary for the correct functioning of our notification service and other features in the app.
- Device model: We collect from your phone the model for personalized multi-account functionality on different devices and for statistical purposes.
- Device Token ID: We collect a unique token ID from your phone that identifies your phone and, like the previous point, is required for personalized multi-account functionality across devices and for statistical purposes.
- Device language: The device language is required for the multilingual function so that you can receive notifications per device in your preferred language.
- Device FCM token: This token is sent to your phone from Google Firebase’s FCM service and then sent to our server at https://bigkitty.kittyflap.com/. This data is required for the notification function.
- Wi-Fi SSID and Password: When you install new KittyFlaps in your home, we need you to provide a Wi-Fi SSID and password so that it can send the collected data to our server at https://bigkitty.kittyflap.ch/ and the app can communicate with the KittyFlap for local management.
- Cat photos: KittyFlaps installed in the doors take photos of your cats, which are needed for monitoring and notification services for certain events.
- Cat name and RFID tag: you need to give a name to each of your cats, and the KittyFlap will scan their RFID tag, so it is possible to recognize and identify them correctly.
- Other KittyFlap data: We also generate some data in each installed KittyFlap: the state of the components, log data, IP, etc. This kind of data does not identify you, your phones or cats and is only used for monitoring services.
The KittyFlap app requires some permissions to provide you with the best possible experience. Here is a breakdown of each permission and why they are necessary:
- Internet access: KittyFlap requires Internet access to provide a feature that displays a list of Wi-Fi networks nearby. This feature allows users to select a network and specify a password (entered by the user) that is sent to an IoT device (the KittyFlap) connected to the app via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).
- Access Wi-Fi status: This permission is required by KittyFlap to determine the availability and status of nearby Wi-Fi networks.
- Read external memory: This permission is required to access the phone’s picture gallery. The permission is needed for cat profile creation in the step of selecting a cat profile photo.
- Write external memory: KittyFlap uses this permission to write data to external memory (cat photos).
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth permission allows KittyFlap to interact (scan, connect to and send data to nearby devices).
- Bluetooth Management: This permission is necessary for advanced control over Bluetooth connections to ensure smooth communication with connected kittyflaps.
- Bluetooth scan: Bluetooth scan permission allows KittyFlap to search for available kittyflaps nearby, which adds to the app’s functionality.
- Bluetooth connection: This permission allows KittyFlap to initiate Bluetooth connections required to communicate with the Kittyflap device.
- Access to Fine Location: The KittyflapApp needs access to the exact location of your device in order to communicate with the Kittyflap using the Bluetooth Low Energy protocol.
- Bluetooth hardware feature: This hardware feature is used by KittyFlap to interact with KittyFlaps and ensure compatibility and optimal functionality.
- Bluetooth LE hardware function: Bluetooth_le hardware function allows KittyFlap to communicate seamlessly with KittyFlaps.
- Camera access: KittyFlap needs access to your device’s camera to scan QR codes, and it’s a core feature required for the app to work properly on multiple devices.
Third party services
KittyFlap integrates the following third-party services:
- Firebase Google Sign-In (only for Android devices): This service is used to facilitate user login in the app. Your email and full name collected during the Google Sign-In process are used to identify you on our server at https://bigkitty.kittyflap.ch/.
- Firebase FCM (Firebase Cloud Messaging, for Android devices only): We use Firebase FCM to send push notifications to your device based on events registered by the connected Kittyflaps.
- Apple authentication (only for iOS devices): This allows users to log in to the app with their Apple ID. During the registration process, your e-mail and full name will be collected and used to identify you on our server at https://bigkitty.kittyflap.ch/.
KittyFlap shares the following data collected from you and your devices with our server at https://bigkitty.kittyflap.ch/:
- User data: From you, your email and full name will be passed to our server.
- Device data: From your phone, the device model, device type (if it is Android or iOS), device language, device token ID (to recognize your phone), and an FCM token (an identifier from Google Firebase’s FCM service) are passed.
- KittyFlap data: Each installed KittyFlap sends to our server images of cats, RFID tags, the Wi-Fi SSID and password (provided by you in the app), and other data generated by us such as statistical data, logs, the state of device components, and tokens.
- Cat data: From your cats, the photos, the name and the RFID tag that identifies the cat are released.
Choices for the user
KittyFlap offers you the following choices regarding your data:
- Unsubscribe from notifications: You can set the notification settings for KittyFlap in the settings of your device.
- Data Deletion: If you decide to delete your account and the data associated with it, you can go to the menu on the home or main screen and then select the option to delete your account.
We take the following security measures to protect your information:
- Data sent to our API (server at https://bigkitty.kittyflap.ch/) uses HTTPS protocol for secure communication.
- Sensitive data (such as tokens) stored in the app cache is stored in encrypted form; EncryptedSharedPreferences for Android and Keychain for iOS devices.
- Limited data collection stored on your phone: KittyFlap collects and stores minimal user data, including email and full name. No sensitive user data is stored on your device.
If you have any questions, concerns or requests regarding privacy, please contact us at:
Thank you for using KittyFlap